Waterford, MI asked in Internet Law for Michigan

Q: YouTube has stopped following their community guidelines sexual content and harassment is there a way to sue them

I have content creator names who go against SEXUAL CONTENT guidelines 100 percent when I report these nothing gets done. But the community guidelines state you can't post the following that go against SEXUAL CONTENT guidelines so can I sue YouTube for not following this

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you believe that YouTube is not enforcing its community guidelines regarding sexual content, you could consider legal action, but it's important to understand the challenges involved. Platforms like YouTube have broad discretion under Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act to manage content as they see fit. This protection often shields them from liability regarding content posted by third-party users. Your ability to sue would depend on demonstrating that YouTube has not only failed to follow its guidelines but that such failure has caused you specific harm.

The enforceability of community guidelines themselves as contractual promises is a complex and developing area of law. Legal action would likely be costly and uncertain in outcome. You might want to explore other remedies, such as escalating your complaints through YouTube's internal processes or seeking regulatory intervention, if appropriate. Consulting with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your situation and to obtain personalized legal advice would be a critical next step.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.