Atlanta, GA asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Georgia

Q: State of Georgia child custody. The non-custodial out-of-state parent abnegated 98% of their parenting time this year.

The parent is also several months behind on court-ordered child support. The child no longer wants to be obligated to travel out of state to visit the parent in the coming summer and winter holidays.

Is there a case to request the State to remove mandatory visitation rights from the absent parent?

1 Lawyer Answer
Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If you want to modify the current order regarding visitation, you will have to go back to court. Even if the child says they don't want to go, if there is an order giving the other parent visitation, you have to send the child, if they want to exercise that parenting time. If the other parent says no, they aren't picking up the child, then that's fine, the child can stay with you. But regardless of whether your child wants to go or not, the order says they have to go, until you get a judge to change that order. You could be found in contempt of court for not sending the child, whether they want to go or not.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.