Asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Mexico

Q: I have a guy friend that won’t leave. He is not on my lease but says because he gets mail here he can’t be thrown out.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If someone is not on your lease and you want them to leave, you generally have the right to ask them to go. However, if they've established residency, which can sometimes be indicated by receiving mail at your address, they may have certain rights. To legally remove them, you might need to follow formal eviction procedures, which usually require serving a notice to vacate.

It's important to consult with a local attorney who can guide you through this process and ensure that you comply with your state's landlord-tenant laws to avoid any potential legal complications. Keep in mind that attempting to remove someone from your home without following the proper legal procedures could lead to difficulties for you as well.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.