Macon, GA asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Georgia

Q: My ex husband lawyer want send me copies of separation papers. Can she withhold them.

I have asked for a copy numerous times. They also tell me they have a recording of me,which I didn't consent to. Can they legally keep this information from me. The county in which they should of been filed has no record of them

1 Lawyer Answer
Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Whether or not your spouse or ex-spouse has to send you copies of documents depends on what documents they are. It is unclear what documents you are asking for because you stated they were "separation papers." If you mean a complaint for divorce then yes, you should have been served with a copy. If the clerk of court does not have a copy of any paperwork, or a case number for you, with you as the defendant, then nothing has been filed yet. And if nothing has been filed yet, then they do not have a duty to serve you with paperwork they have not yet filed. If this was going to be an uncontested divorce then they should be sending you paperwork for you to sign. But you should speak to an attorney and provide more details about what this paperwork actually is, so they can properly answer your question.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.