Murfreesboro, TN asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Tennessee

Q: if I have 50% custody and so does my child's father is it legal for him to stop her from coming over to my house?

My child's father has 50% custody and has been refusing to let her come over during my scheduled time because he doesn't want my partner around her he says she already has a man in her life and that it's him so he's refusing to let her come over.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: It is not legal for your child's father to stop her from coming over to your house during your scheduled custody time. You both have the right to equal parenting time with your child, and he cannot interfere with that right simply because he does not like your partner.

If your child's father is refusing to let her come over to your house, you should first try to talk to him and explain that he is violating your custody agreement. If he is unwilling to cooperate, you may need to file a motion in court to enforce your custody rights.

Unfortunately, due to the nature of internet questions and responses, the information provided can ONLY be for general informational purposes and cannot constitute legal advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.