Augusta, GA asked in Child Support and Family Law for Georgia

Q: I closed my child support case in 2018 and just reopened it will the amount also be modified from the previous case ?

My kids father is self employed but files faxes every year and I'm worrying if the new case will be modified

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You should speak to the child support office where you opened the case and ask them any questions you have regarding how they plan to move forward. And I would also say, it's difficult for child support enforcement to properly handle cases where the non-custodial parent is not a W-2 employee. They may have trouble getting the correct gross monthly income for the other party. You may want to consider hiring an attorney and filing with the court, instead of going through the state, where that attorney can gather discovery documents, and have better evidence regarding the parties income.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.