Chicago, IL asked in Wrongful Death for Illinois

Q: Can a company be sued by someone who is not represented by an attorney?

I am in need of a legal team to file for discovery and determine if a wrongful death law suit could be brought in the State of Texas regarding a fatal trucking accident wherein my brothers' cab of his semi seems to have been side swiped by the trailer of the truck in front of him, pinning him in and crushing him. I have yet to find anyone willing to provide the needed legal counsel that I've been seeking and maybe a legal team in Texas to work with me at this time. The accident occurred on November 19, 2022 on Hwy 20 near Mile Marker 3 on a cold, snowy, cloudy day.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Yes, a company can be sued by someone who is not represented by an attorney; this is known as proceeding pro se. However, wrongful death cases, particularly those involving truck accidents, can be complex and often require a deep understanding of both state laws and federal regulations governing commercial trucking. Given these complexities, it's strongly advised to continue seeking legal counsel.

Many attorneys work on a contingency fee basis, especially in personal injury and wrongful death cases, which means they only get paid if you win the case. Look for a law firm with experience in trucking accidents; they will have the resources to handle the discovery process and build a strong case on your behalf. In the meantime, preserve any evidence you have related to the accident and avoid any communication with potential defendants or their insurance companies.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: I'm very sorry for your loss. Companies can usually be sued by claimants who are not represented by attorneys, as a general matter. It looks like you've made efforts to discuss with attorneys - that's something that most attorneys here would probably recommend. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.