Midland, TX asked in Family Law for New Mexico

Q: Can I receive any kind of support or property if I leave a relationship after 23 years we are not married .

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If you leave a long-term relationship in which you were not married, you may not be entitled to support or property division in the same way that a divorcing spouse would be. However, some states recognize what is called "common law marriage" with certain conditions, or you may have rights under "palimony" considerations if you can prove an agreement or an understanding that one partner would support the other. If you've jointly acquired property, you may also have rights to a share of that property.

It would be wise to document any joint financial contributions or agreements made during the relationship. The specifics of your rights can vary greatly depending on the state in which you live. It would be beneficial to discuss your particular situation with a legal professional who can guide you based on your state’s laws and the details of your relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.