Teaneck, NJ asked in Probate for New Jersey

Q: Hello My ex husband passed away in September and he had several insurance from work. Who can I contact at his job?

I have his children and he gave me papperwork for once insurance but the others were signed 20 years ago and he didn't have time to change info so I wanted to know if I am able to use a text message he gave me stating that everything he has belong to the girls and I, so I can claim?

Also, what do I have to do to file his taxes for 2022 and 2023 so those funds can go to his children?

His family doe s not want to disclose information and I am trying to see if I have the right to claim the other insurance in court?

I also, am looking for possible legal representation and or legal assistant to find out if he had other assets and his family has not discloed this information to me

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
H. Scott Aalsberg
H. Scott Aalsberg
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Sounds like you will need to hire a probate lawyer to get what you want if the family is not cooperating. The main person you need to speak to is the executor of his will. You can find this out by going to the provate court yourself. As for insurance you can call the insurance company and see if you or your daughters were the beneficiaries of any insurance policies. If your not sure which insurance company it is you can call his work and ask for the human resources officer they may be able to point you in the right direction. But again I suggest hiring a probate lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.