Portland, OR asked in Collections for Oregon

Q: Is there motion for installment payments option in Oregon garnishment?

Walla walla collection in Washington filed wage garnishment against me in circuit Court of Washington country oregon for a 10 year old medical debt that has a judgement and they filed for it to be extended. They filed garnishment 2 years ago but got them to drop it as I've been back in Oregon for many years and never heard anything from the place that they even had the debt at the time. 2 years went by without hearing anything again and then get a judgement extension filed and now another garnishment. I cannot afford a garnishment on a single income, I will lose my apt and be in the street. I contacted them with a long email and was just told to call, I deal with severe anxiety when trying to talk on the phone. Is there any forms or a way to write by mail or fax to ask to drop garnishment or try to set up some payment plan etc? Have read about motion for installment payments but cant find for oregon, was going to call while on break at work but got so nervous and threw up

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
TeAnna Rice
TeAnna Rice
  • Hillsboro, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: While you can certainly try to reach some form of installment agreement with them, there is no legal requirement that they have to agree to installment plans. The best approach would be to demonstrate to them that it would be better they agree to an installment plan as it means you are paying them some kind of money on a routine basis, versus the collection route, which may result in the inability to collect anything from you - they will most likely weigh the cost vs. benefit. However, they have a valid judgment (which they renewed based on your post, so it is good for another 10 years), and have no legal obligation to agree to an installment plan.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.