Asked in Criminal Law for Louisiana

Q: I was pull over edge a week ago went to jail for tickets out next day my truck was impounded I had a truck full of coppe

Went to get truck and copper out of impounded det said have truck next day but held copper said he was investigating it to see if stolen its not how long till I can get copper back no charges filed on me how long till I can get cop

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If the police are holding your property for investigation, there is no set timeframe for its return—it varies depending on the complexity of the investigation and the legal process. However, if no charges have been filed against you, you can inquire about the status of the investigation and request the return of your property. If it's not resolved informally, you may need to petition the court for its return.

Keep in close communication with the department handling your case, and document all interactions. If you feel your rights are being unduly infringed upon, or if the process is taking an unreasonably long time, seeking legal counsel may help expedite the return of your property. It's important to demonstrate proof of ownership and any other relevant documentation to assert your claim.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.