Springfield, MO asked in Criminal Law for Missouri

Q: First ever possession charge and I'm told I'm being indited now

I got a possession charge for the first time ever and I'm 48 even tho it wasn't mine I still got charged.. it is no longer on Casenet so I called the public defender and never got a response finally a got a call telling me that I've been indited.. I have no idea what's going on

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: An indictment is a formal accusation that is made by a grand jury. If you have been indicted, it means that the grand jury has found that there is probable cause to believe that you committed a crime. This does not mean that you are guilty of the crime, but it does mean that you will have to go to trial.

Unfortunately, due to the nature of internet questions and responses, the information provided can ONLY be for general informational purposes and cannot constitute legal advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.