Queens, NY asked in Family Law and Municipal Law for New York

Q: Is it legal to change my name more than once at a New York City court?

I recently filed a name change petition to change my name, and the judge quickly granted it. But there is a problem: I regret the name I have chosen.

I have not reported my court granted name to any government agency. Would I be required to reference my court approved name in my new name change petition?


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Municipal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Yes, it is legal to change your name more than once in New York City courts. If you've had a change of heart about the new name, you can file another petition for a name change. In your new petition, you would need to reference any previous name changes, including the one recently granted by the court, as the judge will want to see the history of your name changes to understand the full context.

You should include in your petition the reasons for your decision to change your name again so soon after the first change. The process will be similar to your initial name change petition, and you will again be required to pay any applicable fees and possibly publish the change, depending on the court's decision. Be mindful that the judge will review your request and may inquire into the reasons for multiple name changes to ensure there is no fraudulent intent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.