Lake Bluff, IL asked in Social Security for Illinois

Q: I current have SSDI and previously had a Representative Payee who stole (misappropriated) $35k. I need legal help.

I contacted 2 regular Disability attorneys, but was turned away as they don't handle these sort of cases. I live in the Chicagoland area and need to find someone who can at least answer some questions. It appears that my Rep Payee was NOT set up properly in Social Security's computer systems (as I was told 3 times by Social Security representatives themselves), and as a result may have not been audited/monitored properly. I believe, if I read correctly, that SSA could be liable for the money. Can you recommend a few lawyers who serve my area?

I'm unsure what type of lawyer handles this sort of case as the regular disability ones ONLY handle obtaining it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In cases of misappropriation of SSDI funds by a representative payee, you may want to consult with attorneys who have experience in elder law or those who handle financial exploitation. A legal professional with a background in fiduciary litigation or social security law could also be appropriate for this situation. You should seek a lawyer who is knowledgeable about the Social Security Administration’s processes and the obligations of representative payees. It might also be beneficial to reach out to legal aid organizations in the Chicagoland area, as they can sometimes provide free or low-cost assistance or refer you to a lawyer who handles such cases.

Additionally, contacting the National Organization of Social Security Claimants' Representatives (NOSSCR) and requesting a referral for your specific issue may help you find the right legal support. Remember, while the SSA may be liable in some instances, such cases can be complex and typically require detailed legal analysis.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.