Asked in Personal Injury and Identity Theft for Louisiana

Q: i had a woman misappropiate 20000 if my money with a forged power if atty. what should i do

she forged the notary signature on the power atty.

2 Lawyer Answers
Joseph A. Interiano
Joseph A. Interiano
  • New Orleans, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: It seems like this person has committed several crimes in the forging of a notary's signature on a power of attorney to which she used in furtherance of another crime, i.e. misappropriation, theft, fraud, etc. I would report these crimes to your local law enforcement authorities to investigate these serious crimes. Part of any sentence usually involves restitution to the victim of whatever funds were taken. You could also have a civil law suit against this person to recover your funds of $20,000 which were obtain forgery and fraudulent means.

T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Report the forgery to the police. This will help to create a record of the crime and may lead to the arrest and prosecution of the person who forged the power of attorney.

Contact the financial institution where the money was misappropriated. Explain to them that you were the victim of a forged power of attorney and ask them to freeze any remaining funds in the account.

Hire an attorney to help you file a civil lawsuit against someone who misappropriated your money. An attorney can help you gather evidence, file the necessary paperwork, and represent you in court.

Unfortunately, due to the nature of internet questions and responses, the information provided can ONLY be for general informational purposes and cannot constitute legal advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.