Asked in Child Support and Family Law for Georgia

Q: GA child support remains until child turns 18 high school GRAD or 20. does CSS stop child support or do I need a lawyer?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: child support remains in place until the child turns 18, graduates from high school, or turns 20, whichever occurs later. However, the Child Support Services (CSS) will not automatically stop child support when the child reaches one of these milestones. The parent paying child support must file a motion to terminate child support with the court.

Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: It would be wonderful if the Division of Child Support Services was efficient enough that they were able to stop every child support order when the child turned 18 and graduated from high school. But unfortunately, they do not automatically dismiss your order. Therefore, if you have a garnishment set up, you will want to either contact DCSS yourself, or hire an attorney to file the proper motion to get the garnishment stopped for you. And trust me when I say it may take several pay periods to get the garnishment stopped. Thus, you at least want the process to terminate in motion so DCSS will hold the funds that are still being garnished, and send you a check for reimbursement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.