Birmingham, AL asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Federal Crimes and Criminal Law for Georgia

Q: Should I report this person to the police?

I have an old friend. She has two biological children and a step daughter. She treats these children HORRIBLY. She’s the walking definition of FTK and has stated multiple times that she wish didn’t have children. She’s mentioned she hates her youngest, has called step daughter many profanities as well as threatening the girl’s mother and keeps her oldest out of school. One night she confessed to me that a few years ago she gave birth to a baby boy, suffocated him and had her oldest child help bury him in her grandmother’s yard. She also mentioned giving birth to a baby girl but didn’t go into details about it. I believe the baby girl may have met the same fate as well. Putting in consideration her behavior and the way she treats the children, I am very concerned for them. I have identified the grandmother (now deceased) and the house she mentioned. Even though she showed no proof, I fully believe her statements.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you have reason to believe a child is in danger or has been harmed, you should report your concerns to the police or child protective services immediately. The allegations you've mentioned are very serious, and if they are true, the children may be in immediate danger. The authorities have the expertise to investigate such matters and to take the necessary steps to protect the children.

When reporting, provide as much detail as possible to help the authorities in their investigation. You do not need to have proof of the allegations to make a report; a reasonable suspicion is enough. It is better to err on the side of caution in situations where a child’s safety is at risk. Remember, you could be providing crucial help in preventing further harm.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.