Memphis, TN asked in Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury for Arkansas

Q: I was injured on a job an became disabled i think the state took over my case an my family is hidden my settlement money

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Arkansas, if you suspect that your family is withholding settlement money from a personal injury case, it's important to take immediate action. First, verify whether a settlement was indeed reached in your case. This can typically be done by contacting the attorney who represented you or the court where the case was filed.

If a settlement was reached and you believe you are not receiving your rightful share, you may need to seek legal counsel to address this issue. It's crucial to understand the terms of the settlement and any agreements made regarding the distribution of funds. In cases where a person becomes disabled, sometimes a legal guardian or conservator is appointed to manage their financial affairs.

If such an arrangement exists in your case, it should be reviewed for its legality and compliance with your best interests. Promptly consulting with a lawyer who has experience in personal injury and settlement disputes can provide clarity and help protect your rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.