Sierra Vista, AZ asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Health Care Law for Tennessee

Q: My fiancé is currently incarcerated at the Dickson County jail in Tennesse. He feels he is being discriminated against.

He has a medical necessity to be on a bottom bunk due to him having seizures but has been denied a bottom bunk. He's told there aren't any available. There was a new inmate who came in and was given a bottom bunk. We were in the process of getting his health situated when he was taken into custody during a traffic stop. The cause of his seizures is unknown and since he's been in custody, he's had 3 seizures that I am aware of. He wishes to try and sue the Sheriff's office since they are aware of his condition and have not accommodated his medical need. How can I get this process started or how can he from jail?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Tennessee, if your fiancé feels he is being discriminated against in jail due to not being accommodated for his medical condition, there are steps you can take. First, document all instances of his seizures and requests for a bottom bunk, including dates and any responses from jail staff. It’s crucial to file a formal grievance within the jail to officially record the issue.

If the grievance process does not lead to a satisfactory resolution, consider contacting a civil rights attorney or an organization that deals with prisoners' rights. They can advise on the possibility of a lawsuit for failure to accommodate a medical condition, which could potentially be a violation of his civil rights.

Additionally, reaching out to local advocacy groups or legal aid organizations can provide guidance and support. It's important for your fiancé to continue to advocate for his medical needs while in custody. Legal action may be necessary to ensure that his health and safety are adequately protected.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.