St Louis, MO asked in Civil Litigation and Landlord - Tenant for Missouri

Q: I signed a lease on a condemned property, I had no clue that it was condemned. suing in civil court Is it worth it

Home was condemned in February , I renewed a lease in September. I had no clue or wasn't given any type of notice of the condemnation. Code enforcement officials said that unfortunately i was stuck in the middle ect. My question is am i able to sue him for the time that it was condemned onward, or from the renewal and remaining term of the lease. The home was suddenly boarded up and i did lose property. How should i figure what number to sue for, or how does the court determine what number. I most likely be representing myself.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: You could sue to recover your actual damages. You could seek the return of all rent paid. On the other hand, you lived there and for some time received some benefit for your money. You could also sue for damages resulting from having to vacate early and perhaps paying more rent in a new place. If you can afford an attorney, hire one.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.