Sherman, TX asked in Family Law and Child Support for Michigan

Q: A person representing friend of court lied to the judge in court. What do I do? I have proof.

We were at a motion to change child support that I filed. I emailed 3 paychecks to friend of court. They lied about what’s on the paychecks. I’m calling Monday to get a transcript of the court proceedings also for evidence.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: To change support, you need to meet a threshold for a change: generally, the new guideline amount would need to differ by more than $50 or 10%. So the issue you are facing is not so much the FOC worker testified to a differing amount on the checks; the issue is whether they properly calculated a new support amount based on the information you provided and whether that amount met the threshold. If it didn't, then there's no cause to change support, even if the worker misstated the check amounts.

You are doing the right thing by getting a transcript, but there's more work ahead for you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.