Janesville, WI asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Arkansas

Q: How does the court appointed administrator for an estate get paid? Does it come out of estate money?

I am the general administrator but the judge is hiring an estate administrator. Does the appointed lawyer get paid by the state or the decedent's estate?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Arkansas, when a court appoints an estate administrator, typically a lawyer, their compensation is usually paid out of the estate's funds. This means that the payment for their services comes from the assets within the deceased's estate, not from the state.

The amount an estate administrator is paid is generally determined by state law or court order. In many cases, the fee is based on a percentage of the estate's value, but it can also involve an hourly rate or a flat fee, depending on the complexity of the estate and the amount of work required.

It's important to know that these fees are considered an administrative expense and are usually prioritized over other claims and distributions from the estate. This means that the administrator's fees will be paid before distributions are made to heirs or beneficiaries.

If you have concerns about the administration of the estate or the fees being charged, it's advisable to discuss these with the administrator or consult with an attorney who can provide guidance specific to your situation. They can help you understand the process and ensure that the estate is being managed appropriately.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.