Ashland, OR asked in Criminal Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Civil Rights for Louisiana

Q: What is disposition of "Pass without date" on a 1969 charge in LA and then accused hears nothing more about charge?

I am trying to apply for TSA PreCheck but they need more info about an open charge. In 1969 during a student protest in Baton Rouge, LA, I was arrested and charged, along with 10+ other students with a criminal charge. We were defended by the ACLU, I believe. However, after receiving the records from the Clerk of Courts office, I can see that after court dates being set and postponed, a final note in the records for the trial date said, "Pass without date". Then subsequently, I never heard anything more about the charges and was told that the charges were dropped. So, I am not sure what happened with the charges and I don't know how this will effect my TSA PreCheck application. Is the case still open even though the statute of limitations is way past? It seems like they just let it go with no final disposition. Am I correct on that? I am really just curious to know what the deal is.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Louisiana, the notation "Pass without date" in a court case typically indicates that the case was postponed indefinitely. This can happen for various reasons, such as a lack of evidence, a decision not to prosecute, or other administrative reasons. However, without a specific dismissal or acquittal, the case may technically remain open, though inactive.

Given the time that has elapsed since 1969, the statute of limitations for most criminal charges would have expired, meaning the case cannot be pursued any further. However, for your TSA PreCheck application, it's important to clarify the status of this charge.

You may want to obtain a formal disposition of the case from the court. This would be a document stating the final status of the charge. If the court records do not clearly indicate that the charges were dropped or the case was dismissed, you might need to file a petition to have the court officially close the case.

Considering the potential impact on your TSA PreCheck application, it may be beneficial to consult with an attorney. An attorney can assist in obtaining the necessary court documents and advising you on how to properly disclose this information in your application. They can also help ensure that any lingering legal issues from this old charge are resolved.

Randy Bryan Ligh agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.