Houston, TX asked in Criminal Law for Tennessee

Q: Can I just pay my fine and not go to court for simple possession.citation.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Tennessee, the process for handling a citation for simple possession can vary depending on the specific circumstances and the local jurisdiction. Generally, for certain offenses, including some minor ones, you may have the option to pay a fine instead of appearing in court. However, this isn't always the case, and the details of the citation and the local court's policies are crucial in determining your options.

Before deciding to pay the fine, carefully read the citation and any accompanying paperwork. It should specify whether a court appearance is mandatory or if you have the option to pay the fine instead. If it's not clear, or if you have any doubts, it's advisable to contact the court directly for clarification.

Paying the fine is often considered an admission of guilt and could have implications beyond the immediate financial penalty, such as affecting your criminal record. Therefore, if you're considering paying the fine to avoid a court appearance, you may want to weigh the potential long-term consequences. If you're unsure about the best course of action, consulting with an attorney can provide clarity and guidance tailored to your specific situation.

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: No you have to go to Court for such a crime. Otherwise another warrant will issue. Hire a lawyer to possibly get it diverted, dismissed and expunged. A conviction for drugs will mess you up for life.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.