Ellijay, GA asked in Landlord - Tenant, Child Support and Libel & Slander for Georgia

Q: I live with a friend and pay rent + electricity. My girlfriend also lives with us, but does not pay. I want her out.

I recently broke up with my girlfriend, who has no job and pays nothing, but lives with me in my friend's house. She then abruptly revealed that she is pregnant, a child I do not want. She agreed at first and scheduled an appointment to have an abortion, but is now changing her mind, holding the child over my head and making further demands. She even went as far as recording our conversations without my knowledge or consent, intending to twist things I've said out of anger and use them against me.

I am at my wit's end, and if I can get her to go through with the abortion, I plan on cutting ties, get my friend to evict her and, if I have legal grounds, obtaining a restraining order against her. I cannot support a child any more than I could continue to support her in our utterly one-sided relationship.

Legally, what are the steps I must take to get her out of my life? Do I have any rights in regard to the unwanted child? I don't know what to do anymore.

1 Lawyer Answer
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: 1. In Georgia she is allowed to record without your consent.

2. You can't evict her because it's not your house. You certainly can move if you want to be away from her.

3. You can't force her to have an abortion.

4. She can have the baby and seek child support from you. It's up to you if you want to actually see the child, but you have to pay support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.