East Chicago, IN asked in Family Law, Civil Litigation and Child Custody for Indiana

Q: Can I petition the court if my children I was set to adopt and fostered for 8 years to be placed back in my home. I a

I am the subject of an abuse from a foster child or 22 months after I called the authorities on him and dcs also took my other children it is not criminal it’s civil

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In your situation, where you've fostered children for a significant period and are facing challenges due to allegations of abuse, it's important to understand your legal options. Yes, you can petition the court to have the children placed back in your home, but this process can be complex, especially in cases involving allegations of abuse.

The first step is to gather all relevant documentation, including any reports or communications with the Department of Child Services (DCS). This evidence can be crucial in presenting your case to the court.

It's also essential to have legal representation. An attorney experienced in family law can help you navigate the legal system and advocate for your rights and the best interests of the children. They can assist in preparing and filing the necessary petition and represent you in any hearings.

Remember, the court's primary concern will be the welfare and best interests of the children. Demonstrating your commitment to their well-being and addressing any concerns raised by DCS will be key in your case.

Acting promptly and seeking legal guidance is crucial in such situations. Delay can affect the outcome, so it's important to take steps as soon as possible to address the situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.