Asked in Criminal Law, Divorce and Family Law for Tennessee

Q: my husband is on my bond and we are getting a divorced and he says he going to take hisself off my bond what will happen

The bond is paid and it’s been 4 years been to court couple times then Covid hit and now it’s been 4 years need two know what I need two do will I be put back in jail if he takes his self off my bond live In Tennessee

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: That is probably up to the bondsman, who you should call as you are his prisoner. If the bondsman asks the Court to exonerate him, then the Judge may set a bond or possibly release you on your own recognizance. But 4 years is a long time not to go to trial. Talk to your lawyer. Be ready with a new surety if husband removes himself as surety, which is what the bondsman will want.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.