Idaho Falls, ID asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Idaho

Q: If I was sold a car my a family member but they didn’t give me a title of BOS and are non compliant what can I do?

I meant to put *OR bill of sale.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Idaho, when purchasing a car, especially from a family member, it's crucial to have a title transfer or a bill of sale to establish legal ownership. If you haven’t received either, this can complicate your situation.

Firstly, try to resolve the issue amicably. Communicate with your family member about the necessity of these documents for legal ownership and registration purposes. Sometimes, misunderstandings or lack of knowledge about the process can lead to such situations.

If the family member remains non-compliant, you may need to consider legal options. Without a title or bill of sale, proving ownership can be challenging. A written agreement or any proof of payment can be helpful in such cases.

Consulting a lawyer can provide you with a clear understanding of your legal rights and the best course of action. Legal intervention might be necessary to obtain the required documents or to seek a resolution if you have been wronged in this transaction.

Remember, legal ownership of a vehicle is not just a formality. It's essential for registration, insurance, and to avoid potential legal issues in the future. It's important to address this issue promptly and effectively.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.