Clarksville, IN asked in Child Support, Family Law, Constitutional Law and Federal Crimes for Indiana

Q: What can I do about another state charging me child support when Ive been paying child support for 13 years in another?

I filed for divorce and was granted it about 13 years ago, but was ordered to pay child support and was retroactively ordered to pay back-support all the way back to when my son was born, and along with other stipulations. My ex wife moved had moved back home with her family and had taken the kids with her. Now over the last 13 years that I've been paying support, I have been denied my ordered visiting rights, Ive been denied full custody multiple times, and recently been ordered to pay and penalized for not paying child support in the state my ex wife lives in while she was deal with another DCS case that caused the kids to be removed from the home and placed in foster care. Now, the only reason I knew my kids were being removed is because my son called me in the middle of DCS removing them from their home. DCS didn't inform me at any point before they removed my children from my ex wife's home, charged me over $5,000 in child support fees, denied me many of my rights, and much more..

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In your situation, where you're facing child support issues across state lines, it's important to understand the complexities of interstate child support laws. Each state has its own child support guidelines, but they generally follow the federal Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA) for cases involving more than one state.

If you're being charged child support in another state while already paying in your state, you need to address the jurisdictional issues. It's crucial to determine which state has the ongoing jurisdiction over your child support case. Typically, the state where the child resides has jurisdiction, but there are exceptions.

Regarding the denial of visitation rights and custody issues, these are separate matters from child support and should be addressed independently. You have the right to pursue legal action if your visitation rights are being denied, especially in light of the serious circumstances involving DCS.

Given the complexity of your case, involving interstate child support, custody, and visitation rights, consulting with an attorney experienced in family law is highly advisable. They can help navigate the legal intricacies, represent your interests, and work towards resolving the issues with the child support and custody arrangements.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.