St Louis, MO asked in Landlord - Tenant and Civil Litigation for Missouri

Q: Can A Landlord be sued for Loss of property? Can a landlord in Missouri be sued for emotional distress ?

Me again, I am wanting to know if a landlord can be sued for loss of property , and or emotional distress. Back story is signed a lease on a condemned property and was not able to get any property , all of it was thrown a way. Obviously this was a sudden thing, and a very traumatizing event that i am in therpay as my life was in that home , and started medication for anxiety. i lost things i will never be able to get back due to this issue. Most lawyers in my area do other practices such as a personal injury, real estate ect that I may represent myself if need be in court , as i am hutning for a lawyer. I do believe it would be worth it as he has multiple properties

1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: A landlord may be sued for breach of lease or for a tort claim.

I am confident that if you are willing and able to pay an attorney by the hour, and assuming your situation has merit, you will be able to find an attorney.

You can discuss with that attorney emotional distress damages. You are unlikely to recover such damages however, absent expert medical testimony.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.