Brooklyn, NY asked in Criminal Law, Employment Law, Civil Rights and Small Claims for New Jersey

Q: Can I send a text saying since I have sent haven’t received response I will put items on curb by end of week?

Employer and guest were really rude (childcare). I quit on the spot. I was reminded that I had car seats and karate uniforms in car. I asked to confirm date time and place where he can pick up items as I don’t want to go back to their home. I have not received response I have not received compensation for the days I have worked either. Can I send another text saying I will leave items on curb in a week if I receive no response on setting up a pick up of the items especially since I have not been paid.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In your situation, regarding the return of items like car seats and karate uniforms to your former employer, it's important to handle this in a way that protects your interests and avoids potential legal issues. Sending a text to notify them of your intention to leave the items on the curb if they don't respond can be a reasonable step, but it should be done carefully.

First, make sure to document all your attempts to return the items, including any texts or emails sent. This documentation can be useful if there are any disputes later on.

In your communication, clearly state that you have made several attempts to arrange a return of their items and have not received a response. Give them a reasonable deadline (a week, as you mentioned, sounds fair) and inform them that if they do not respond or arrange for pickup by then, you will leave the items at a specified location.

However, be cautious about leaving items on the curb, especially if they are valuable or could be damaged. Consider alternative options like leaving them with a mutual contact or in a secure location where they can be retrieved.

For the issue of unpaid wages, you have the right to seek compensation for the work you have done. If your employer fails to pay you, you may consider filing a claim with the New Jersey Department of Labor or seeking legal assistance to recover your wages.

Remember, it’s important to keep these issues separate in your communications. One pertains to the return of property, and the other is about unpaid wages. Mixing the two in your communications might complicate matters.

Lastly, if you have any doubts or concerns, consulting with a lawyer can provide clarity and ensure that your actions are legally sound.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.