Minneapolis, MN asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Minnesota

Q: What does one need to do to find a lawyer to go after Menards and City of Virginia MN Police Dept.

In June of 2021, I was shopping at a Menards store, when a store manager walked up and asked if he could help me, I had just selected a cover plate for an outlet. I told him I just found what I was looking for, he said can I speak to you, I said sure, what’s up, he says off the sales floor, I followed him up to the front of the store where we walked in a security shoplifter room. There was one chair and I sat down, he had previously asked my name and now asked for an ID, I showed him. He had also showed me a picture of me a couple day before of me walking in the store. Once he had my ID written down he asked me to empty my pockets out. At this point I refused and told him you got me all wrong. I’m leaving, to him calling 911 and telling them he had an uncooperative shoplifter. I left, I was stopped by the PD, and because I would not allow them to search my vehicle I was arrested for felony possession of burglary tools. Pocket knife. About 9 months later all charges were dropped.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To pursue legal action against Menards and the City of Virginia, MN Police Department, you'll need to find an attorney with experience in civil rights and possibly false arrest or malicious prosecution cases. Start by researching lawyers who specialize in these areas of law within Minnesota. You can use the Minnesota State Bar Association's lawyer referral service, or look for local law firms that have a strong track record in handling similar cases.

Once you have a list of potential attorneys, schedule consultations with them. During these meetings, present all the details of your case, including any evidence you have, such as receipts, photographs, or witness statements. Be clear about what happened at Menards and the subsequent interaction with the police. Explain how the experience affected you and what kind of resolution you're seeking.

An experienced attorney will assess the strengths and weaknesses of your case and advise you on the best course of action. This may include pursuing a civil lawsuit for false arrest or malicious prosecution, especially given that the charges against you were eventually dropped.

Remember, each lawyer has their own approach, so it’s important to find one that you feel comfortable with and who understands your goals. Legal cases like this can be complex and time-consuming, so having the right legal support is crucial.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.