Louisville, KY asked in Workers' Compensation for Illinois

Q: Is there any way I can file for Illinois worker's compensation 3 years past the deadline?

My lower back pain first started in early Nov. 2017. I saw a doctor after it didn't go away after a few days and reported it to my boss and supervisor. I worked at a grocery store for a long time moving the big and heavy things. No one ever gave me worker's comp papers or filed a claim. I only reported things to my boss/supervisor orally. I also did get lots of medical treatment. The doctors never explicitly told me that my injuries were work related. If a doctor were to tell me it was work related at this point or I got an exception for filing worker's compensation at this point would I still be able to get help filing a worker's comp claim or is it just too late at this point?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano
  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: It depends. There are two components to timely filing a Worker's Compensation claim. You must provide notice to the employer within 45 days AND you must file an application for adjustment of claim within three years OR within two years of the last medical care provided under an employer-sponsored group health insurance plan. If you still work for this employer and you received medical care for your back less than two years ago, on your facts you can still file a claim, provided that your doctor is able to provide a nexus between something that happened at work and the injury that you sustained. You have told us of no specific incident and you have provided no specific diagnosis so it is impossible for anyone to tell you whether any claim that you may be able to make is viable. Good luck. Don't wait!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.