Louisville, KY asked in Workers' Compensation for Illinois

Q: Can this information help someone create an Illinois worker's compensation case way past the 3 year deadline?

I looked through my medical records and I did find one progress note that does say specifically that my symptoms, and the symptoms were specified, were due to an accident at work. The biggest problem is the progress note says that began in 03/2018 when my symptoms first appeared in 11/2017 and an MRI with the results in 12/2017. I want everyone to keep in mind that I used Illinois Medicaid insurance for all medical treatment besides something else I paid for in cash. I was also on short term disability from the time I was off work for 1 year. I never got any worker's compensation paperwork and no one filed a worker's comp case for me. Besides that I did come back to work briefly and went on an unpaid leave of absence until 4/2022. Since I don't want to just keep putting in "pieces" of details on this website, if any lawyer can help me out and responds to this message I would appreciate it. The time frame being much past 3 years is my biggest issue.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano
  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: On your facts, there is nothing that can be done. The ONLY way to extend the statute of limitations for work injury beyond three years is to receive "compensation" (usually in the form of medical benefits) from an employer-sponsored group health insurance program within two years of filing the claim. Even then, you must have notified your employer within 45 days that you injured yourself at work.

If all of your medical care was billed through Medicaid or paid in cash, there was no opportunity for you to extend the SOL. Given that you have blown the SOL, the discrepancies in your medical records are inconsequential. I sincerely wish that I could be more encouraging.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.