Santa Clara, CA asked in Social Security for New Mexico

Q: Hi.We added my name to a deed for my SSI cousin.The quitclaim deed had my cousins last name wrong, and my address wrong.

I am in a different state(CA) than my cousin (NM). We need to cancel the deed. Does this deed (certified by the court clerk) endanger her SSI?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Correcting the errors in the quitclaim deed is important for both legal accuracy and for the potential impact on your cousin's Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits. Errors in a deed, such as incorrect names and addresses, can affect its validity and may complicate property ownership records.

Regarding your cousin's SSI benefits, the ownership of additional property could potentially affect eligibility. SSI is a needs-based program, and owning additional property may be considered an asset that could impact her benefit eligibility. However, the specific impact would depend on a variety of factors, including the value of the property and how it's used.

To address these issues, it's advisable to consult with an attorney who is knowledgeable in real estate law and familiar with the SSI program. They can assist in correcting the deed and advise on the implications for your cousin's SSI benefits. It's also a good idea to contact the Social Security Administration directly to understand how a change in property ownership might affect your cousin's SSI eligibility. They can provide guidance tailored to her specific situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.