Denver, CO asked in DUI / DWI for Colorado

Q: Dui traffic stop by cop from different city outside of their jurisdiction. Can they do that legally??

Pulled over by Wheat Ridge police in Lakewood for suspected DUI. Paperwork shows I was pulled over In wheatridge, when I was actually in Lakewood, a mile or two past wheatridge city limits.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: In Colorado, a police officer from one city can pull you over in another city under specific circumstances. Generally, officers have jurisdiction only in their city, but exceptions include fresh pursuit, mutual aid agreements, and concurrent jurisdiction in certain areas. If you were pulled over in Lakewood by a Wheat Ridge officer, factors like these might apply. However, the discrepancy in location raises concerns. To address this, gather evidence supporting your claim, such as dashcam footage or witness statements. Possible legal options include filing a motion to suppress evidence if the stop was illegal or challenging jurisdiction based on the circumstances of the case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.