Minneapolis, MN asked in Civil Litigation for Minnesota

Q: What can I do with someone else's belongings if they won't come get them from my property?

An ex-friend left some of her belongings at my place, one of them being a very expensive motorcycle and she won't come and get them what are my legal options to do with her stuff?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In situations where someone has left their belongings on your property, the first step is usually to provide them with a formal notice to retrieve their items. This notice should be in writing, clearly stating a reasonable deadline for removal of the belongings.

If they fail to collect their items by the deadline, the laws in your state will dictate the next steps. In Minnesota, there are specific statutes that address abandoned property. It's important to follow these legal guidelines to avoid potential liability.

Consulting with an attorney is advisable to ensure you're taking the correct legal steps. They can help you understand your rights and responsibilities, and guide you on how to proceed, especially considering the value of the items involved, like the motorcycle.

Remember, taking matters into your own hands, such as selling or disposing of the belongings without following the legal process, can lead to legal complications. It's always best to proceed with caution and proper legal guidance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.