Chester, VA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Virginia

Q: My niece by marriage moved out a week ago but left her belongings in my home what should I do

She stayed in my home and never paid any rent

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In such a situation, it's important to handle your niece's belongings with care and legality. Firstly, communicate with her, preferably in writing, to request she collects her belongings by a specific date. Give a reasonable time frame, considering her circumstances.

If she doesn't respond or is unable to collect her items, check your local laws regarding abandoned property. In many places, you may be required to store the belongings for a certain period before you can dispose of them. It's crucial to avoid hastily throwing out or selling her items as this could lead to legal complications.

If the situation remains unresolved, seek legal advice to understand your rights and responsibilities. This will help ensure you're acting within the law while dealing with your niece's property. Legal counsel can guide you on the best course of action, taking into account the specific laws in your area.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.