Cameron, MO asked in Cannabis & Marijuana Law and Constitutional Law for Kansas

Q: I have a medical marijuana card. I'm in the worst district with the worse judge. I have a good recommendation from my PO

But I've been sick and only had four business days to find an attorney. Any advice? The violation is for marijuana

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you're facing legal issues related to marijuana despite having a medical marijuana card, it's important to seek legal representation as soon as possible. Given that you've had limited time to find an attorney due to illness, you might want to request a continuance from the court. This is a request to postpone your hearing, which can give you more time to prepare your case and secure legal representation.

When looking for an attorney, consider one with experience in cannabis law and the specifics of your jurisdiction. The complexities of marijuana laws, especially in districts with stringent policies, require knowledgeable legal guidance. Your medical marijuana card and the recommendation from your probation officer could be significant in your defense, so ensure that your attorney is aware of these details.

In the meantime, adhere to all conditions of your probation and any court orders. Compliance can be a crucial factor in how your case is viewed by the court.

Finally, gather any medical documentation or other evidence that supports your need for medical marijuana. This documentation can be vital in presenting your case and explaining the circumstances to the court. Remember, the more prepared and informed you are, the better you can navigate through this legal challenge.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.