Dallas, TX asked in Intellectual Property and Patents (Intellectual Property) for Florida

Q: I wanted to find out about patent that my late grandfather had with another person.

2 Lawyer Answers
Adam W. Bell
Adam W. Bell
  • Patents Lawyer
  • SF, CA

A: Give us the application/patent number, the title and teh inventor - we (anyone on this site) can look it up for you.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: To find information about a patent that your late grandfather had, you can start by searching the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) database. This database includes all patents filed and granted in the United States and can be accessed online. You will need details such as your grandfather's name, the approximate year the patent was filed, or any specific technology or invention name associated with the patent.

If the patent was filed jointly with another person, it should be listed under both names. It's important to note that patent ownership and rights can be complex, especially after the passing of an inventor. The rights to a patent may have been assigned or licensed to others, or they may be part of your grandfather's estate.

If you're unable to locate the patent or need more detailed information about its current status and ownership, consulting with an attorney experienced in intellectual property law can be beneficial. They can assist with more advanced searches, interpret legal documents related to the patent, and provide guidance on any potential rights or claims you may have regarding the patent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.