Salt Lake City, UT asked in Criminal Law for Utah

Q: In Utah is there a certain amount of time in which you must be sentenced???on a Misdemeanor- case???

I pled guilty to a possession pf controlled sub for marijuana and a shoplifting sheilding devices charge on 3-3-2020. The judge ordered a pre sentence report, sentencing was to be 50days after 3-3 The court rescheduled it, but I never received the notice because someone sent it back as not at this address. Covid was just getting real bad and so I just text the answers the pre sentence to the Adult P&P. Altho they sent a note to the judge saying I never showed to plz allow me to do again. This was 6-2020 and the case just sat that way. just totally silent. No warrants issued.No further communication on it. Period. Until this month 12-2023 A warrant was bbn issued when a employer asked for resolution on the case. Is there a certain amount of time that they have to sentence me? Like shouldnt they have issued a warrant years ago? I haven't been in trouble since. And its almost been 4years? I live in utah. Im not a felon Please let me know! THANKS 4 UR TIME. I APPRECIATE YOUR RESPONSES!!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William Melton
William Melton
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Taylorsville, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: No, there isn't a certain amount of time. However, you have been sentenced. The judge sentenced you to jail, but you have been a fugitive. You should consult with an attorney to help you finish the case. If you've stayed out of trouble they may be able to use that to help with your sentencing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.