Clinton, IA asked in Foreclosure for Illinois

Q: Should i still file a answer and is there anything else i can do to prolong a judgment against me?

I am in foreclosure in illinois. My son was served and did not inform me of the subpoena until after the court date. I then found out the next court date and was present. The attorneys for the mortgage company pushed for judgement against me. I asked the court for more time and they granted me three weeks. I am selling another property i own to bring myself out of forclosure and am closing on it soon but not till after next court date. So i need to buy a few more weeks. Even though it has been more than 30 days since i was served should i still file a answer to help buy time or is that out of the question since 30 days has passed and if yes or no what else should i do to avoid a judgment being placed against me at next hearing?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Goldberg
Michael Goldberg
  • Libertyville, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Since there is a legal proceeding in place for the foreclosure, the best advice that I can provide is for you to retain an attorney to represent you in the foreclosure matter. The attorney can raise affirmative defenses that you may have available in order to defend the lawsuit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.