Albuquerque, NM asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Business Law and Tax Law for New Mexico

Q: What do you file for business taxes and who will review your papers if you suspect preparer fraud

Third party name on taxes and my step father Also worked at the same company preparer works for and preparer worked for x husband's company meanwhile I am a W2 workers but somehow they changed my income 73,000

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you suspect preparer fraud in your business tax filings, it's important to address this issue promptly and thoroughly. First, review your tax returns carefully to understand the discrepancies, especially if your income was inaccurately reported.

For addressing preparer fraud, you should file a complaint with the IRS. This can be done by submitting Form 14157, "Complaint: Tax Return Preparer." This form allows you to report the preparer's fraudulent activity and provide details about your case.

In addition to filing a complaint, you may need to amend your tax returns to correct any errors or false information. This is done by filing Form 1040X, "Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return," for personal taxes, or the appropriate amendment form for your business taxes.

It's also advisable to consult with a new tax professional or an attorney who has experience in tax law. They can provide guidance on how to rectify your tax situation and ensure that your returns are accurate and compliant.

Remember, taking action against preparer fraud is crucial to protect your financial and legal interests. Ensure that any future tax preparers you engage are reputable and properly credentialed to avoid similar issues in the future.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.