Papillion, NE asked in Divorce and Family Law for Nebraska

Q: I think my husband filed for a divorce back in 2020 after us being separated 7 yrs whole he was in prison behind my back

I found court papers he filled out when he was in prison in Nebraska State. They called it "dissolution of marriage" which he wrote down that he didn't know how to contact me and tried my parents phone but no one ever answered. There is a notary signature on it. My question is how do I find out if these papers were indeed filed and made us officially divorced? Should there be a special stamp on it or something saying "filed"?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: You can go on the State of Nebraska Judicial Branch website and search for court cases under your name and his name. If you have a divorce case in Nebraska, it should show as a court case in Nebraska under the parties' names. I believe there is a relatively small fee to search for non-attorneys to search for cases in their name.

If you know what County the case was allegedly filed in, you can also go to that Clerk's office to search for cases under your name and his name. If you have a document that is allegedly a divorce decree in Nebraska, then it should state the County name at the top of the first page of the document.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.