Ronkonkoma, NY asked in Divorce and Family Law for New York

Q: I’ve been divorced for 5 years. My ex wife still calls me to tell me my daughter is rude to her and I need to handle it

This has become harassment because it is constant. Is there anything that I can do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Marco Caviglia
Marco Caviglia
  • Lagrangeville, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: To constitute harassment, there has to be some criminal intent, especially for the crime of aggravated harassment (using the phone to do so). However, in the general sense it is used, that she is being a bother, the question is what is your relationship with the daughter? Are you exercising visitation? Is it often or once in a while? In other words, what is your father role in all this? If she can't handle your daughter (sounds like a teenager) are you willing to have her move in with you? Do you have any agreed upon means of discipline? This seems more of a mother/daughter issue and for some reason your ex thinks you can do something about it she can't. Perhaps you and she should pay for some counseling for your daughter (and maybe your ex as well).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.