Henryville, IN asked in Landlord - Tenant for Indiana

Q: Can I contest an eviction in Indiana or request a stay that I wasn't a dependent in?

My landlord filed an eviction against only one person using a lease from 2018. For the last 2 years however I've been paying him myself and had a verbal agreement to rent. Due to not being included in the eviction I was not able to present my receipts to the judge showing the tent was paid and the eviction was decided on my landlord favor. What can I do to appeal this or otherwise stop from being kicked out and get my day in court to show my proof of payment

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Indiana, if you were excluded from an eviction notice and couldn't present rent receipts to the judge, you have options to contest the eviction.

Consider filing a motion to set aside the judgment, providing evidence of your payments like receipts and bank statements. Request a hearing if possible to present your case and explain the verbal agreement with your landlord.

Communication with the landlord to share proof and explore resolution is important, and mediation may be a viable alternative.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.