San Antonio, TX asked in Business Law for Wisconsin

Q: Can a not for profit corporation change their name without disolving the corporation and starting over?

They would like a name that better describes the location.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Yes, a not-for-profit corporation can change its name without dissolving and starting over. This process typically involves amending the corporation's articles of incorporation to reflect the new name.

The specific steps to change the name will depend on the state in which the corporation is registered. Generally, you will need to check with the state’s corporation commission or secretary of state's office to ensure the new name is available and not already in use by another entity.

Once you have confirmed the availability of the new name, the corporation will need to file an amendment to its articles of incorporation with the appropriate state agency. This usually involves filling out a form and paying a filing fee.

Additionally, it's important to update the corporation's name with any other government agencies or entities it interacts with, such as the IRS, especially if it has 501(c)(3) status, and any state or local tax authorities.

It's also advisable to notify donors, clients, and other relevant parties of the name change to ensure continuity and maintain the corporation's relationships and reputation.

Remember, while the process is straightforward, it's important to follow the specific legal requirements of your state to ensure the name change is legally recognized and effective.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.