Hinesville, GA asked in Family Law and Child Support for Georgia

Q: can you file a contempt for child support and child abandonment warrant together?

can you ask the judge to order the maximum sentence of 12 months in jail? how do you request anger management and family counseling for the noncustodial parent during the hearing process?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If you have a court order for someone to pay child support, and it is not being paid in accordance with the order, then you can file a contempt action. If you don't have a court order and the other parent is not spending time with the child or providing any financial assistance, you can file for child abandonment. But you need an order for child support in order for the party to be in contempt.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.