Lawrenceville, GA asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Georgia

Q: Ive lived in GA for 4 years with my son(7) dad in NJ do I file in GA for sole custody, Dad has nvr met child but pays CS

Child born in NJ when we resided there moved when child was 2. Dad has never met or tried to meet child pays child support occasionally. Now in GA but never transferred CS order but would like to apply for sole custody as child has special needs and I want to get a trust set up.

1 Lawyer Answer
Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If you're the mother and the father has never legitimized, you already have sole physical and legal custody under GA law. Therefore, you wouldn't file for something you already have. If the father now wants to file for sole custody, he should file in the county where the mother lives and have her served. The child support order can be domesticated in the state of GA and then a GA court can modify said order if a modification is requested. However, the father might challenge the modification by a GA court if he still resides in NJ, where the order originated.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.