Metairie, LA asked in Personal Injury, Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Louisiana

Q: What are my options for wrongfully being held at the New Orleans International airport on December 24th?

Wrongfully held at the New Orleans International Airport on December 24th. Was told at the end that I was arrested on paper, but I was never read my rights nor was I told I was being detained. While speaking to a female Jefferson Parish Officer, XX comes over, interrupts mid sentence while I am speaking with the female officer and says lets go. At this time I was free to go, but when he interrupted me I said "Excuse me, I am talking, walk away". He then turned around to walk away but then was mad and decided to put handcuffs on me all while the female Jefferson Parish officer was telling XX no, not to do that. He proceeded to take me into the airport in cuffs without telling me crimes I've committed after I asked, never said I was detained. He then searched me, pulled out all my belongings, and took them.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Louisiana, if you believe you were wrongfully held at the New Orleans International Airport, you have several options to consider. Firstly, document every detail of the incident while it's fresh in your memory. This includes the names of the officers involved, the time, location, and any witnesses.

You may want to file a formal complaint with the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office regarding the conduct of the officers involved, especially if you believe your rights were violated. This can initiate an internal investigation into the incident.

Consulting with an attorney experienced in civil rights or personal injury law can provide you with specific legal advice tailored to your situation. An attorney can evaluate the details of your case and advise on the potential for a civil rights claim, especially if your rights were infringed during the detention.

If you believe your rights were violated, you also have the option to file a civil lawsuit for damages. This could include claims for unlawful detention, violation of your civil rights, and any emotional or physical harm suffered.

It's important to act promptly, as there are time limits for filing complaints and legal actions in such cases. A lawyer can guide you on these timelines and help ensure that your rights are protected throughout the process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.